Wednesday, September 16, 2009

To Use or Not to Use (9.17-18.09 [100min])


It's up to you (or your boss)


Warm-Up (15min)


- What is one technology that you think should be banned or legalized. Explain your reasoning for this citing the costs and/or benefits it put on society.

- Vocabulary List

- PotD


Lesson 1 TttT (30 min)

More on Technology’s influence on society - Choosing a technology for you and your society

Article 1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_and_society#Sociological_factors_and_effects

  1. What are the 4 factors and effects of technology on society?
  2. What does the author mean by “values that inform, and are informed by, technological innovations”?
  3. What are the 4 ethical implications? Can you think of an example of a technology that has been repressed or controlled based on the ethical standards of a society?
  4. Technology can simplify or complicate life. Give an example of each.
  5. Myspace, facebook, and twitter have had some effect on groups. How do you think these social networks have changed how people interact with each other?
BONUS ARTICLE


Vocabulary Test 4 (5-10min)

classmarker.com


Assignment (45min)

Evaluate your technologies based of the four factors you read about today (values, ethics, lifestyle, and institutions/groups)


STEPS:

1. Take this analysis for each technology and place it into your Prezi.

2. Update your path

3. Take a screenshot (NAME IT “FACTORS_NAME”)

4. Put it in my drop box.


Example:

technology - cellular smart phone

values - I can be more efficient in my work and school if I can communicate with people from anywhere. (efficiency)

ethics - My mom doesn’t like my cellphone because I text at the dinner table and stay up late talking to my friends instead of studying. (family traditions)

lifestyle - My phone complicates my life because I have so many more chances to make myself look bad in my communications. Because of this I have to be on-point all the time. (complicates)

groups - My phone enables me to participate in the dialogue of history as I can instantly access news and post to my blog (make news) from anywhere. (participation in groups)

No comments:

Post a Comment